Mid January in the Garage—Tearing into the Buell

It’s been a couple of months since I’ve done any work on the Buell, but it felt like it was time to put The Sexy Beast up on the lift and start working on getting her ready for next fall on the Salt. My goal for tonight was to pull the plugs, give her a compression test, and install the new breather catch can and filter I’d purchased after World of Speed.

Front Spark Plug

Front Spark Plug

Rear Spark Plug

Rear Spark Plug

The plugs looked like I might be running a little bit rich, but not too bad.

Compression Test Front

Compression Test Front

Compression Test Rear

Compression Test Rear

After racing on the Salt, I picked up a leak I attributed to pushing the bike pretty hard—we were running about 7200 RPM on the top end. I didn’t think I had blown a gasket, but wanted to confirm that—and started with a compression test. Both cylinders looked good. After inspecting the bike, I think the leak is coming from the pushrod tubes. I think the oil is bypassing the o-rings that seal the pushrods. That will be the next step in investigating the source of the leak.

Breather.jpg

One of the other racers I met on the Salt, who was running a Sportster, was using a better catch can and breather filter than I was running, so when I got home I ordered the new part. I installed it tonight and feel like it’s a better solution than what I used last fall.

I can’t think of anything else I’d rather be doing when the roads are wet and frozen and the weather doesn’t otherwise allow time outside on the bike. I’ll be pulling the rockerbox covers so I can take a look at the pushrods next.